Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux comparison to `lux & `cron?
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 23:50:28 +1000

Matt Morgan wrote:

> >>Yes it is a pain but when you get back the pictures it all seems worth
> it.<<
> Steve,
>
> This is the crux of the matter. If the Noctilux has amazing picture quality
> over and above the `lux and `cron, then I will buy it.
> Is there a previous archived thread comparing the lenses? Has there been a
> general consensus on the LUG about the best 50mm lens?
> As I'm slightly disappointed in the 50mm `lux, (in a `damn, I only won one
> million on the lottery instead of two million sort of way), I would buy
> another 50mm if the image quality is superior.
>
> Many thanks, Matt.
>
> Matt, the Noctilux is not better or woth than the Summicon or Summilux. It is
> different.

The Noctilux is a lens which should be used under different circumstances than
the other lenses. It is not for use on the beach on a sunny day.   I use mine
for example inside pubs,without flash and a nice quite M3. Mostly wide open.
Also being a train and tram fan,
I found this lens to be superb for taking this type of pictures in the
underground stations with available light. I still can use 1/60 or 1/125sec
handheld  with a 200 ASA film.
The shallow depth of field is no real problem. In the underground the distance
to the trains can be made large enough,  to give a reasonable depth of field,
even with f1.4 or larger.
In the pubs, the small depth of field looks good. All I want is to capture the
right atmosphere and  the small depth of field aids this. And of course  being
able to use available light makes the scene look gemuetlich. Even the reflection
of the smoke helps sometimes.  The slight vignetting in this type of  setting is
hardly noticeable and actually  helps.

It is no use, to worry about lines/mm or sharpness or any of the other
statistics when using
this lens. Remember it is a Leitz (Leica) lens. This means it has to be good. It
is the best lens available for its intended use. Like all the other Leitz
lenses.
If you are a daytime or Nighttime with flash user, than this lens is not for
you.  If you however like to make pictures where the sun dos not shine, and you
don't want or can't
use a flash, then this is the lens to get.  To afford mine, I sold all my screw
mount Leica equipment and I never regretted it.

Regards, Horst Schmidt