Subject: Re: [Leica] Helping kids develop as photographers.... (like Laur a)
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:58:28 -0500

My daughter has played with toy cameras since she was a year or two old....
I should add she has a knack for dismantling them......  So we have since
made them out of Legos or Duplos..

Yesterday she made a camera out of two empty toilet-paper rolls..... and
then she asked me to put film in the camera....... when I pretended to load
it with film  she said "no daddy... not pretend film.... real film".

So... she's probably ready...... But I'm afraid that she will take the whole
roll in a few minutes like she sees daddy do when he's working...  And since
she doesn't have an allowance to spend on film yet.... we'll probably let
her wait a little longer...

I remember once reading an interview with Pete Turner.....  the interviewer
asked him a couple of times about his son and what he thought of his son
wanting to become a photographer...... Pete didn't say anything and more or
less growled at the interviewer until he moved on to another subject...

I'm wondering what I'll do if she decides to follow my footsteps...

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador
http://duane_birkey.tripod.com

**********
Martin "the owner of the longest car still in operation" Howard wrote:

Birkey, Duane jotted down the following:

> I've got a few more years before this becomes an issue personally as my
> oldest daughter is 5.... but this has caused me to think about the what
ifs
> and I'm sure I will go through the same doubts and wonder ifs  that Tina
is
> going through... and  I'm still thinking about what would be best...

If she's five now, why not start her out already?

M.