Subject: Re: [Leica] HEXAR RF Limited with 50/1,2 in 2001 ?
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:43:08 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/00 12:59:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jbcollier@home.com writes:

<< others
 have commented favourably on the Hexar and that Dante has not wrongly
 bestowed his affections on it. I hope that has cleared our little
 misunderstanding. >>

Rather than write a "Dear John" post, I will forego the salutation.  No
problem as to a misunderstanding.  I do not want to suggest that anyone
should not use and enjoy the Hexar.  I read that the lens was a copy of the
'69 Summicron, and I went for it on that basis.  In actual use at f/2, where
I planned  routinely to shoot, I found the results unacceptable and not
comparable to those I have since gotten from the 'cron.
This speaks as much to the transient nature of bokeh and the difficulty in
trying to evaluate it reliably and objectively as to anything involving a
particular lens.  I would advise anyone concerned about how out of focus
areas will appear at large apertures (i.e., bokeh), to think twice about
relying on reviews in general and on those relating to the Hexanon in
particular, unless 2-line bokeh is acceptable.  I would be much more inclined
to trust the information and visual evidence provided by serious and
thoughtful users of lenses, such as the participants on this list, especially
when based on long-term results.  That is the reason for my posts.  However,
I do note that another member found the Hexar lens less than comparable to
his Summicron in general use

Joe Sobel