Subject: Re: [Leica] scanner
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:49:25 -0400

on 20/9/00 3:20 pm, B. D. Colen at bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote:

>> hah, but the Polaroid doesn't have the ICE mechanism :-)
>>
>> Pascal
>> NO ARCHIVE
>>
> True....and the ICE software is utterly useless for Black and White....so,
> for some of us, better the higher resolution than the software we can't
> use...;-)

For some reason my negs are really clean at the moment. Literally one or two
dust spots, if that, and the very very occasional watermark. I don't even
bother to clean them before scanning. I think it has to do with where I dry
them (the basement... very very still air, no dust). So anyway the ICE thing
doesn't bother me, and as BD points out it doesn't work on silver films.

Slides get gunky pretty quickly though and I can see ICE having a value
there. Diehard grainsniffers will object that it softens the scan... swings
and roundabouts I guess.

However, I'm increasingly tending to simply use the scan software to get the
raw image into the maching and then doing all the corrections myself
(cropping/inversion/gamma/bw points etc) in 16-bit in Photoshop. This is
actually quicker than fiddling with the scanner controls, much as ***HERE
COMES THE LEICA CONTENT*** using a Leica M can often be faster than doing
battle with an multimode automatic.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com