Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica- collector's or user's camera
From: "M.E.Berube of GoodPhotos.Com" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:01:32 -0400

At 12:28 PM 9/18/00 -0500, you wrote:
>In the retail side of photography I see students regularly with supply lists
>from their class who have been sent in search of  Pentax K 1000 cameras (not
>made for years)

I'm hard pressed to think of a better 35mm camera for a student than a
Pentax K1000. (or a minolta srT etc...) Why outlay a lot of money for
equipment before you learn if you will stick with it or not? Many students
may eventually end up not interested in photography after all. Even now
that they are no longer in production K1000s (and srTs) can often be
obtained in great condition WITH a fast 50 for less than the cost of a
Leica never ready case alone. These venerable hunks of metal are more than
suitable to learn the basics of light management and composition.

After the passion for photography is established and the basics are learned
there is plenty of time to work on getting coveted quality equipment.
(After 20 years, I still wouldn't trade my srTs in for anything.) Not
everyone is lucky enough to have parents who can hand down used Leica (on
topic) equipment nor wealthy enough to be able to even purchase such
quality used.

But that's just my opinion, we welcome yours.
Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube

Replies: Reply from Thomas Kachadurian <tom@kachadurian.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica- collector's or user's camera)