Subject: [Leica] Lens haze-35mm Summicron
From: "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 16:30:45 -0700

I purchased a 35mm Summicron with eyes on Ebay that was correctly
represented to contain haze.   The condition of the lens was not overstated.

Upon its receipt, I sent it to a camera repair that has successfully cla'd
other Leitz lenses for me.   It wouldn't clean.

I sent it to John Van Stelton who indicated that the glass used in this lens
has metal in it and will oxidize and is not cleanable.  The two elements
with the problem are the ones on each side of the aperture diaphragm.  He
cannot eliminate the haze.

While I greatly respect John's professional opinion, I am curious to know if
anyone on this site has any suggestions before I scrap the lens.

Roland Smith
roland@dnai.com

Replies: Reply from Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Lens haze-35mm Summicron)