Subject: Re: [Leica] Features or basics
From: "Apostolos Mamatas" <a_mamatas@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 21:35:56 EDT

>From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
>To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Features or basics
>Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 17:46:40 -0700
>
>Dan S wrote:
> >
> > Regarding Erwins comments below:
> ><Snip>
> > As for the perceived lack of "features" on the  M system.  Most of this
>is
> > just gadget geek wish listing.  None of it has anything to do with
>actual
> > ability to create quality photography.  Indeed if product features were
>the
> > determinate of photographic quality wouldn't the meduim be at it's
>zenith
> > now?  One could HARDLY say that this is the golden age of quality
> > photography...so what are our excuses? Id say from the list above that
>the
> > lack of equipment is not the problem.
> > >
> > Best Wishes
> > Dan States
> > Madison WI
> >
> ><Snip>
>Nice one Dan!
>The biggest feature of the M system is it's lack of features.
>That's it biggest plus.
>Leica refuses to dumb it down with superfluous gizmos.
>What other 35mm camera system can compete or compare?
>Markwr
>Portland, OR
>what's the algorithm for simplicity?

I agree with both of you. Even if we may disagree that "superfluous gizmos"
necessarily represents the "dumbing down" of a camera (as I do), let us all
be thankful that simple quality mechanical cameras like the M are still with
us, thereby at least giving us the *choice* in whether or not to use cameras
with gizmos. Vive la diference!