Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V18 #1 quiet cameras in cathedrals?
From: "Gerard J. van den Broek" <broekco@hetnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 11:23:28 +0200

To all concerned LUGgers,

There is no need for a photographer to shamelessly disturbing meaningful
and very special occasions in 'holy' places. I clearly remember that my
wife and I fled as quickly as possible out of a small but beautiful
church in Cyprus
some ten years ago, when tourists, by the bus load, were 'vomited' into
it during a solemn ceremony, the baptism of a two or
three days old child. The small group of Greek orthodox Cypriots were
overwhelmed,
flabbergasted while the curious crowd poked their noses into this very
special occasion. The priest and the parents and the
god father and mother seem to have sped up the ceremony and we saw them
shyly coming
out of the church hurrying to their car or perhaps another part of the
cloister. My wife and I were very, very upset, and we
had to take a deep breath before we could go into the church again. I
made some
pictures of the stained glass windows, a crucifix and the little altar.
Most of the tourists had gone. But the harm was
done.

Being a witness of intimate moments is a delicate subject matter, for
the presence of the 'stranger' may be felt as an
intrusion, with or without a camera. In both cases one has to build
rapport in order to
avoid exactly that.  Sensitive photography is about rapport between the
persons before and behind the camera. Rapport may be
built up by asking, by the 'right' (is empathic)  attitude and behavior.
In
anthropology one of the key methods for obtaining information and
eventually perhaps even understanding, is 'participant
observation', the researcher is visible, he/she takes part in the daily
routines, but is
also a guest at ceremonies and rituals, even takes part in these. If
done/obtained succesfully, people may even be proud to
share their culture with their 'guest.' The participants of the group
all know what
he is doing, why he is there. In general, the presence of camera may
even help to - implicitly - give a meaningful purpose
to the presence of a person. Musn't sensitive photography be very simlar
'participant observation'?!  Like the anthropologist, the photographer
may somewhat later present the results of his 'mild
intrusion', As many resarch permits for anthropologists demand feedback
to their
hostst and an explicit duty to put all forms of publications (photos,
films video, fieldnotest and articles or books) to the
benefit of the (sub)culture involved. In this way the rapport which was
built is
based on true receprocity. Perhaps "taking pictures" started with the
wrong verb: one must GIVE pictures, not TAKE them.

Gerard
(anthropologist/semiotician)