Subject: [Leica] wristwatches
From: Hoyen Tsang <htsang@email.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:19:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 15 September 2000, Bmceowen@aol.com wrote:

<SNIP>
> I expect only one thing from a watch -- to
> be able to look at it and know what time it is. Any watch that fails to
> perform this basic task is a piece of junk -- no matter what it costs . . .
>
> Bob (wears a Seiko quartz) McEowen

Allow me to change Bob's statement to demonstrate an analogy:

"I expect only one thing from a camera -- to be able to pick it up and take pictures with it.  Any camera that fails to perform this basic task is a piece of junk -- no matter what it costs..."

I think it is agreed on this list that the M6, or indeed any mechanical camera, can be off by as much as 1/3 a stop (or more) even in tiptop shape.  By analogy, the best mechanical wristwatches are "allowed" by COSC chronometer standards to be off by -4 to +6 seconds a day in total variance.

Leica M camera and Patek wristwatch... fine mechanical instruments... require periodic maintenance and are almost never 100% accurate... near infinite lifespan if properly cared for and maintained... potential heirlooms.  Nikon F5 and Casio G-Shock... representatives of the digital age... nearly 100% accurate... use it up, throw it out, cuz something new's always around the corner... heirlooms, forget it...

Hoyen
(Seiko Titanium Diver's Automatic, gaining 15 seconds per day)

Replies: Reply from ray tai <razerx@netvigator.com> (Re: [Leica] wristwatches)