Subject: [Leica] OT: Watches again (sigh)
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:25:18 -0700

Oh what the heck, I guess I have an opinion about this too :-)

For me, a watch has to fulfill four criteria:

First and foremost it must tell time accurately (kind of how a Leica has to
be able to produce a properly exposed and focussed photo) - after all,
that's its raison d'etre.  Notice I didn't say anything about how
accurately.  Like the M6 vs. F5 comparison, the notion of sufficient
accuracy is personal and, to a degree, irrational.

Second, it must be reliable - both in its timekeeping and its mechanical
integrity.  Again, the parallel to Leica is obvious.

Third, it must look good, both to me and others - after all, it's also
jewellery.  I refuse to draw the "Leica as jewellery" inference here...

Fourth (and this is a little more personal) - it must do all of the above
with as little attention from me as possible.  CLA as often as an M3?

So, for me this all boils down to: quartz, classic design stainless steel
case and wristband, sapphire crystal, elegant but understated face, no
complications or other frippery, and utterly waterproof.  An Omega Seamaster
Quartz fills the bill perfectly (well, the helium escape valve _is_
frippery, but nothing's perfect in this world).

Unfortunately, if you translate all that into Leica terms, I'm afraid you
end up with a device uncomfortably close to a Hexar RF ;-)

Paul