Subject: [Leica] Quieter
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 20:26:00 +0200

> When I photograph some religious ceremony in Bosnia, Rwanda, Haiti.... or
> Newfoundland, I document a primary tenet of a peoples culture. When those
> pictures are shown to people in isolated and insular western cultures they
> LEARN something and, hopefully, gain an understanding of a culture they
> have never had contact with and, most likely, have some misguided views.
<<<<

Greg, I'd agree to some extent, but with the rider that what people want to
see (I mean photo editors, publishers) is invariably something that
conforms to their culture's expectations about the target culture. So it is
that you have no difficulty publishing stuff about poor people,
prostitution, famine, war in the third world, but there's not much market
for documentary work that steps out of these stereotypes. (BTW, does anyone
know what "stereotype" actually derives from? Sounds photographic).
As I said elsewhere, knowledge and understanding are not primary comodities
in our consumerist culture.
Tell me I'm wrong! I'd like to believe it.
Rob.

Robert Appleby
V. Bellentani 36
41100 MO