Subject: [Leica] Ball and Socket
From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:07:59 -0700

I'll jump in with my experience. I got a small Manfrotto table-top tripod
and a Kaiser ball and socket for my M6 in Copenhagen a year ago to
facilitate indoor shots-even cathedrals. The M6 is history, but, I use the
tripod/socket often with my M3 in self timer mode. I would much rather have
the self timer than the M6 light meter, anyway. Frequently, a marginal shot
has been a success because the small tripod allows a slow shutter speed. It
is interesting how many places one of these little tripods will fit. I just
got back from Yosemite where the tripod did a good job supporting the big
135/2.8 Elmarit in the lens tripod socket. I also have found it a big asset
when used with a cable release on a Rollei 35. Finally, the M grip I had on
the M6 returned the tripod fitting to the the center of the baseplate where
gravity intended it to be.

Bill Lawlor