Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] quiet cameras in cathedrals?
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 15:18:59 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/00 12:17:40 PM, Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com writes:

>It just goes to show that peoples' reactions about what behaviours are
>
>intrusive and disrespectful varies all over the map.  While common courtesy
>
>may mitigate against, say, shooting flash pictures during a religious
>
>ceremony, it's obviously not something that everyone finds offensive.
>
>During Catholic weddings I've been urged up onto the altar to shoot with
>
>flash during the ceremony _by the officiating priests_, with the
>
>enthusiastic acceptance of the bride and groom.

I did a story on Jewish communities in rural Missouri a couple of months ago.
I shot a public Passover seder, a private family seder and a couple of temple
services. I got the whole range of access -- everything from "access denied"
(which obviously I did not shoot) to "not during actual service" to "just a
few photos" to "sure, help  yourself." Where I did shoot during services I
don't think people noticed much. I used the Leica, of course . . .

Bob McEowen