Subject: Re: [Leica] compatible flash units with M6
From: Andrew Moore <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:37:20 -0400 (EDT)

> I currently own an M6 and am searching for an electronic flash
> unit which is compact, accurate, and reliable.  I already own a
> Vivitar 285 but desire a unit which is small enough to slip into
> my pocket.  Can anybody suggest anything.  I may consider purchasing
> the leica SF20.  Any other alternative available?

I highly recommend the Olympus S20 flash:

  - costs USD $75 (at my local shop)
  - smaller than an SF20.  The size of a typical numeric pager.
  - two auto modes (f/2.8 and f/5.6 for ISO 100)
  - manual mode (I never use it except to exercise the capacitor!)
  - Runs from two commonly available AA batteries
  - coverage angle is 28 to 35 mm, I believe.
  - Comes with a (low profile) diffuser to allow 24 mm coverage.
    I just leave it on all the time...
  - it's very lightweight
  - test-fire button
  - No socket for a PC cord, so just get an off-camera cord with a
    hot shoe on one end and a PC plug on the other.

I wish it were more powerful but I'll take compact/lightweight
any day.  It's a great flash.

This appears to be the same as the flash that Leica sells with
the mini(lux, zoom, whatever) point and shoots, but the Olympus
one has a black finish and probably isn't marked up as high :)

- --Andrew

Replies: Reply from Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com> ([Leica] Re: compatible flash units with M6)