Subject: [Leica] Re: m6 AND hexar rf
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:18:05 -0700

At 12:53 PM 9/12/00 -0500, Robert Jagitsch wrote:

>Case in point: a couple of weekends ago, I went to visit my parents.
>We went out to an Italian restaurant and I was able to snap photos of
>them with the Hexar very unobtrusively. All I had to do was focus and
>compose, I didn't have to worry about the exposure. I just put the
>Summicon 35 wide open and the camer chose the exposure. The shutter
>and motor were very quiet; although not as quiet as an M, my parents
>still never knew I was shooting photos of them. This would NOT have
>been the case with an F5, not even close.
>
>-R

It is my humble opinion, as well as decades of manual cameras and
experience, that the Hexar's AE ability contributed little, perhaps
nothing, to the picture taking experience and whether the exposures were
good or not. As a matter of fact, AE in a restaurant can give you a worse
"hit" rate than no AE.

A reflected meter reads anything in front of it. Black jacket, white
sweater, overhead light, etc. If you are in a restaurant, find a neutral
subject in an average lighting situation, read it, set your camera, and you
are done. Take pictures without changing the exposure. An AE camera will
read that black jacket and give you much over exposure. It will read that
white sweater or bright overhead light and give you gross underexposure.

In these situations, the Leica M camera is the master of perfect exposures
(the human brain at work) and stealthily quiet operation.

So my humble opinion is, there really isn't anything that a Hexar can do
that is "better" than an M camera. It does "different" things, not
necessarily better things. Some of these "different" things can actually be
a burden.

Jim

Jim

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com> ([Leica] Re: m6 AND hexar rf)