Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Kodachrome 64
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 11 Sep 2000 06:45:59 -0700

On Mon, 11 September 2000, Doug Nygren wrote:

> Over the weekend, I was talking with Steve McCurry, the National
> Geographic photographer who shoots a lot for them in India and points
> east. He said he shoots with Kodachrome 64 (ie. shot at 80) and
> underexposes by a third of a stop so that colors are more saturated. I
> do the opposite with color negative film, but I never play with ASA in
> transparency film. I'm going to have to experiment with this and see how
> it goes. Do any of you shoot your transparency film at slower ASA, do
> you slightly underexpose for color saturation?
>
> Doug Nygren

Doug,

I use lots of K64 and I typically expose it at 80 instead of 64.  Kodachrome doesn't tolerate much overexposure without losing highlight detail so in addition to the saturated colors, exposing it at 80 also is a hedge against overexposure.  Bracket when in doubt, and remember that relative to the value of photgraphic opportunities, film is dirt cheap.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.