Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: LUGPhoto Quotes To Brighten Your Day
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 12:12:36 -0400

I speak as no especial admirer of Sontag and as a reasonably well-regarded
professional historian of some twenty years.  Your criticism makes sense
only if one assumes the most naive position of regarding the "past" as
everything that chronologically precedes the 'now," which is patently not
Sontag's meaning.  We do "invent" the past in that it contains no implicit
narrative--we construct narratives in our attempts to describe or interpret
a body of evidence that is otherwise inchoate.  The literature on this,
across the broadest possible range of political ideologies, is vast, and it
would mere pedantry to recite it here.

Historians of American historians will provide numerous examples of
misprision, misrepresentation, and outright falsehood that ought make us
blush when we claim immunity from ideology--from Smith's invention of the
Pocahontas episode in 1607--to the treatment of slavery in America, to such
contemporary historical "biographies" as -Dutch-.

Many on the LUG love to relate the use of their Leica gear as impromptu
weapons in securing a favored position to document an event.  Why, one
might ask, if not to lay claim to an 'authorative' representation of the
moment?  If such a photo were to become emblematic, to appear, for
instance, as an illustration in a college history textbook, would we
dismiss the photographer's aggressive shaping of the image as
inconsequential to its content?  I doubt it.

Chandos

At 02:57 PM 9/8/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>It sucks of 'psuedo speak', something which sounds profound but is in fact
>merely a cleverly phrased set of superficial words.

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown