Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Milage - book publishing
From: ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:45:25 -0700

Jim Brick wrote:
> Jennie and publish our own books. We have them printed in Hong Kong.
> Publishing books yourself is quite easy. And when you sell them, you keep
> "all" of the profit, rather than a measley 5%. And if you want to reprint,
> you can. If a publisher doesn't want to reprint, they don't have to no
> matter how good the book is.
>
> Get Dan Poynters "Self Publishing Manual" which is absolutely the best self
> publishing book ever printed. Get it, read it, and follow it word for word.
> If you want to print off shore, let me know.<<<<<<<<

Hi Jim,
Absolutely agree with you on self publishing, certainly if one can put
the money to-gether to do it.  Particularly a book like my "This is Our
Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler," then you don't have a publisher
that screws you out of $40,000 dollars royalties as happened with the
medical book. :-(

I'm at a point where I'm absolutely fed up with the agent handling the
next book which is completed, pictures and text, she's trying to lock
down a publisher and this means we've lost another year of potential
sales due to inaction.

In Canada a number of big name publishers are so gun shy on publishing
the works of any author unless they are extremely well known and well
published or our federal government is handing out a big subsidy to fund
the printing, it's very tough getting anything of value done.

However, I'm constantly surprised at the crap that gets printed and
passed off as good picture books.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant