Subject: [Leica] Trying Leicas
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 17:41:27 +0000

Dan Honemann wrote:
>A local shop _used_ to rent Leica gear, but no more.  I asked why not, and
>they said Leica buyers were so finicky that no one would purchase their
>rented gear.

Years ago when interning at Nat. Geographic I was going out on a story
and Gilka just pointed at a room and said grab whatever you need.  I
wandering into the storeroom full of cameras, lights, whatever and found
a large cabinet filled top to bottom, front to back with Leica gear.
Rows of bodies, lenses of every type in multiples, everything.  'course
most was "user" quality, banged and battered, beautiful to my eyes,
thinking of the hands that had used them and the eyes that had looked
through them and the things all over the world those Leicas had seen.

I picked out a batch of stuff to supplement what I already had and of
course picked too much and mostly just used my M2 and 35 'cron.

But oh what a deliciously wonderful time I had in the cabinet!

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego
www.donalphilby.com