Subject: Re: [Leica] RC, Not at all Cool! Daddy O! (long)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 19:21:45 -0700

><Snip>  and think it beautiful,
> particularly for portraits. Jesse

Jesse You gotta make sure the phone doesn't ring with a warmtone print in the
Selenium tray because you get a split tone, the blacks go brown but not your
light greys. And then you have to leave it in there until the whole thing turns
brown and that takes quite a while and clogs up the works.
But with slight Selenium toning the print color is subtle, warm with out being
pukey. Draws you in.
At the expense of more than a couple of stops so I've gotten my enlarger not
casually calibrated. I got a Zig-Align so I can print stopped down 2 or even 1!
Warm toned paper makes the image come closer and of course people look more human.
Cold toned paper makes the image recede back. Great for seascapes especially but
landscapes especially with lots of sky or any landscapes and especially
telephoto shots.
I think Blue Black tones can fool people who should know better that you are a
"master printer"
For Ilford to come out with a product line like this both warms and cools my heart.
I can live with out these other exotic French or whatever papers, the
reintroduce Seagull and stick with one company. At least they cut all their
paper the same size.
I think a lot of the better "Gallery" printers are sticking with Ilford.
mark rabiner

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> ([Leica] RC, Not at all Cool! Daddy O! (long))
Message from Jesse Hellman <palio@miata.net> (Re: [Leica] RC, Not at all Cool! Daddy O! (long))