Subject: [Leica] Rodinal 1:100
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 16:56:01 -0700

 http://people.oven.com/jbm/temp-displays/Mark_Rabiner/

If anyone wants to see what Tri X with Rodinal 1:100 looks like Jeff Moore put
this up for me click on Lori, big for the grain or little. The Jpeg does make it
not the same of course:

I had not had my 105 2,5 long for my Nikon FM which I had gotten used with a
dent on the front rim which made putting a filter on the front a little tricky.
But I might have shot this one with one with a borrowed 135 2.8 from the mid
60's scalloped focusing and certainly not multicoated. The coating looked
primitive. I think I used to put it on the camera when I needed some real
flattening that the better, newer 105 could not give me.

I ran into this gal, Lori at the record store, The Crystal Ship, a supermarket
filled with LP's. She looked exactly this way when I saw her. I said "please
show up looking exactly this way tomorrow at my studio 5 blocks from here"  she did.

Shot two rolls of Tri x with my then new Balcar strobes. The early 80's. She was
gone after a month to Paris for the rest of the 80's.

I've printed this every size up to 20x24 and this was my "White Gallery" at
Portland state show poster which I've also recently scanned which was the mid
80's. Here is is scanned off an 8x10 print with my Umax powerlook III, scaled
down from a very large scan.

A scan with the Nikon LS-2000 was not as near as effective from the original
neg. I seems scanning from a print with a better scanner might be the way to go
sometimes. It's all new to me. Great example of edge effects making a lens
better than it really was. I used a Balcar Jumbo Zebra umbrella.

Mark W. Rabiner

Message from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> (Re: [Leica] Optimal Portrait Lenses)