Subject: Re: [Leica] Black and White film and developer combo
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 11:50:49 -0700

><Snip>
> I think this is the kind of question, that if you ask 100 photographers what
> they like you will get 100 different answers.  Personally Agfa APX 400 in
> Rodinal is one of my favorite combinations for 35mm.  I like the grain a lot.
>  The acutance and tonality are also a good fit for many of the kinds of
> photos I make.  APX 100 in Rodinal is my sheet film combination at the
> moment.  I'm still learning all it can do.
>
> Richard Wasserman

Richard! I get more grain with APX 100 in Rodinal than with Tri-X and D76!!!
Not that I haven't used it anyway.
The most grain I've ever seen is T Max 3200 in Rodinal 1:100.
An amazing grain effect I think i showed you some of those shots.
APX 400 in Rodinal then is amazingly grainy,
but it's a great film to use if you don't want your shots to look like everyone
elses.
APX 100 and 400 have a response curve way different than what we are sued to using.
I believe it is much more straight line but maybe it's the rabbits in the Gelatin.
I tell all lovers of Rodinal to give Xtol a shot (and at 1:3) because we have to
realize if the grain is something we really do love or have just learned to live
with.  But Rodinal gives a Look that is more than just a grain effect. And at
1:100 there is a glow in the highlights which can really work for a lot of
subject matter. Grain magically seems to line it self up to resolve an image
finer than itself.
Me I'm taking a vacation for grain for a year or so with Xtol. Especially with
Delta 100 film. For me it replaces APX 25 in Rodinal and I know that's saying a lot.
Mark W. Rabiner
:)