Subject: Re: [Leica]Meaning of Angulon, Summicron, Summaron, Summitar, Summarex?
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 16:27:10 EDT

william@penbex.com.tw writes:

<< I only know why Leica use Elmar/Elmax and Hektor. But not knowing why
 use Angulon, Summicron, Summaron, Summitar, Summarex? >>

You forget the first of the"Sum-" lenses, the Summar.  It appears that the
ones that followed were all derived from or were variations on that name.  It
has always been my assumption that the Summar name comes from the Latin word
summus, meaning "highest", as in the English "summit" or the Latin phrase
summum bonum, meaning highest or greatest good.  It is implicitly the
consummate lens.  Summarex would loosely be translated "highest king".
Summilux would be "highest light".  Summicron would be, probably, "highest
crown", as in "crowning achievement", more idiomatically.  The Angulon name
comes from Schneider, not Leitz.  As far as I know, all the Angulons and
Super-Angulons are wide angle lenses.  No surprise there.
Just a set of assumptions.  Maybe someone else has a better story.

Joe Sobel