Subject: Re: [Leica] Black and White Film//Nachtwey//Rapidwinder
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 00:55:01 EDT

In a message dated 9/1/00 7:28:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time, MTomalty@aol.com
writes:
<< Hi Guys/Gals
> Anyone willing to share any preferences on a really nice Black and White
film
> and Developer combo.
>I've been a commercial/stock shooter for many years and have been shooting
> almost exclusively in color.For personal work of late I'm shooting more and
> more in B & W but I find something 'lacking',especially since I'm using
M6's
> and  feel I'm not getting the full potential out of them.
>I'm currently using TMax 100/400 and they are being developed by pro lab
> here in Montreal-I believe they are using D-76??
>  To add my 2 cents to the discussion on photographer ethics/donations I
think
> that just by being whereever they happen to be working is donation enough>.
> To be able to go into,at times, horrific situations and come away with
strong
> images that can be used to bring attention to the situation borders on
> the heroic. It's not as if these people are on a cruise! As to the question
of
> whether these individuals donate a portion of proceeds to charity I know for
> a fact (possibly excluding the extremely small elite crowd such as
> Salgado,etc)  that the vast majority of these photogs barely earn enough to
>survive,let  alone  donate.
> And finally,can someone inform me as to whether I need to transfer over
> the 'basket' from an M6 baseplate to the Rapidwinder.
>Thanks everyone
> Mark

Mark, there are innumerable combinations of film and developer to work with.
Some are as classic as the M-camera itself. Tri-X in D-76 1:1 for 10 minutes
at 68F works all the time and has become a standard. It is not the finest
grain nor is it the longest tonal range, but somehow it can do everything
quite well. The newer "thin" emulsion films like Tmax 400/ Delta 400/ APX 400
etc. are great films but I feel that they are intended for more controlled
situations. The Tmax films are very good in studio or controlled light
situations, but lacks the flexibility of the Tri-X for street shooting or
variable light situation type of shots. Over the years I have experimented
with just about every combination of film and developer and there are some
great ones, but often they are unavailable in " store-bought" form and you
have to mix everything yourself. It is not nuclear science by any means, but
it requires a bit of time and foul-ups to establish what works where and
when. When in doubt I go back to Tri-X and D-76 (or occasionally Rodinal
1:100/20 minutes, works with just about every film there is!).
 Right now my developer of choice is a 40's Pyrocatechol developer by
Windish. It was an evolved to make full use of some of the Adox  thin
emulsion/slow films (KB-14/KB17). I have been trying it out with FP-4+/Delta
100 and T-max 100. Good, long tonal range but a bit rough grain. For those
slower films my current favourite is Crawley's FX-37, very sharp and with a
great tonality. Works well with Tri-X too, better shadow details than any
other developer I have tried and still hold the highlights in a printable
shape. Grain is somewhat distinct, to put it mildly. Up to 8x10 it looks
great, but at 11x14 and beyond, it is rough! The Kodak Xtol is a nice
developer, but I had problems with it. Some of the packages I got had lower
activity than others, with rather gloomy results on the film. It is also a
bit "boring", there is no edge to the film, it is a bit mushy in my
estimation. Grain is very fine and smooth, but acutance is not very
pronounced and why shoot with those nifty Leica lenses and have no
 "zap" to the prints. I would recommend Tri-X/D-76 as an initial test and
maybe try out the Tri-X/Xtol combination too and see which comes closer to
what you want to have. It also depends one your printing style as well as
your choice of paper developer and paper.
 As for using the basket on the Rapidwinder! Well, some do and some don't.
Over the last 13 years I haven't bothered with it and so far I haven't found
any problems related to not using it. Occasionally users feel that the basket
secures the film in the "tulip"leaves in the M6. I am not so sure that it is
the best way to load. Modern films are thinner, slipperier and far more
flexible than the older styles. This can cause the film to slip through the
tulip-leaves and not advance. I always make sure that the film is riding
properly on the sprocket and by "kinking" the last 3-4 mm of the film before
it is slid into the tulip of the M6, it grabs it securely. It is rare that a
film does not advance properly (I ALWAYS check that the rewind knob rotates
before closing up the camera). The M camera is very quick to load and reload.
I can probably unload and reload a M6 in 15-20 seconds and be secure that the
film moves through the camera, as it should. I do have a long training as I
probably do this 30-50 times a day in the workshop. Every Rapidwinder is
cycled through 4-5 rolls of test-film in the shop and then another couple of
rolls at home before being shipped. I use outdated Tech-Pan in reloadable
cassettes, the felt-traps are kinked tight to induce friction as this can
reveal problems with drives or lever-assemblies.
Leicas are easy to use. Buy film, load film, shoot film, develop film and
marvel at those negs!
All the best,
Tom A
Tom Abrahamsson