Subject: Re: [Leica] les fleurs du mal: was OT: Nachtwey (was Personal portfolios of ...
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 18:02:00 +0100

bob,

given the recent discussions on this list about ethics and photography,
about the extent to which (if at all) 'concerned' photographers may be
exploiting human suffering, about natchwey in particular, about his
sincerity (or lack thereof) and/or his careerism, i do not think my
question - which neither condemns nor praises, it was an innocent question
- - was out of line or irrelevant.

i don't know why people in general ask 'stupid questions like this' about
photographers, but regarding my own question, i can explain: this is the
leica list. it is devoted to photography. we have spent a major portion of
the past week discussing these very issues in relation to photography and
to various well known photographers. my question was asked in this context.

if this were a users group devoted to newspaper journalism, television
crews, or radio journalism, and the same amount of bandwidth had been used
to discuss the same topic in relation to the professionals of those fields,
perhaps someone would have asked the same question of them.

guy