Subject: Re: OT: Nachtwey (was [Leica] Re: Personal portfolios of misery
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 07:18:57 -0700

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Private? How poignant!
> He doesn't want some damn reporter from the Village Voice tagging along after him.<<<<<<<<<<<<

Mark,
So true!  This reporter may never have been any farther than 10 miles
away from his warm bed and to get off a plane into the situations
Nachtwey photographs, he'd probably be puking all over  the place,
becoming a liability to Nachtwey.

I've had to work with some very , shall I call them stupid.? Maybe naive
reporters, more polite, in my day, who see we photographer's as voyeur's
and wish to "tag along" for a touch of the excitement.......... because
we get close to the really "neat stuff!"

And I can imagine the Village Voice reporter was close to this type of
attitude when interviewing  Nachtwey, an "in your face photographer of
death." Otherwise he wouldn't have used the, "What I didn't understand
then, and do now, is how private he wants his experience of these public
catastrophes to be. "<<<<<<<

Stupid reporter!

ted
Victoria, Canada