Subject: [Leica] Re:eMILY cUTS hERSELF
From: MEB <templar@celticweb.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:04:01 -0400

At 06:33 PM 8/29/00 -0700, Kyle Cassidy wrote:

>i've posted a second emily gallery:
>
>http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/goth/secret/

Photographically, not your best work Kyle. (Flash reflections bug the Hel
out of me when I catch them in my own work, those usually find their way
into trash very quickly.)

Topically, I think that this IS some of your more interesting work. I have
no problem with it at all. (I am assuming Emily is at least 18.) She seems
to contain her mutilation to one forearm. Many modern primitives do far
worse to themselves without eliciting public hue and cry for them to seek
help. It's all a matter of degree. Personally, I think that anyone who poke
a hole in an otherwise perfect ear (or any other body part) just to dangle
a bit of metal and stone there, is just as in need of help. My wife has
piercings and can't understand my having tattoo injected into my skin.
Quoth the Kinks: "Its a mixed, up jumbled, up shook up world... except for
Lola." I'm sure that Emily has reasons for cutting herself, as long as the
cuts aren't life threatening, and she doesn't want to stop, I find no moral
challenge to your photographing it for the world to know that such things
exist. I DO think that you should accompany the images with some of your
normally insightful (incite-ful?) commentary.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube
http://goodphotos.com