Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica on the cheap
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:44:07 -0700

Tina Manley wrote:
> I've heard all of the arguments for using filters for protection, but I
> still don't buy them.  As you say, I take my cameras into very harsh
> conditions and I'm not careful with them!  I've never scratched a lens
> yet.  I do use lens hoods and sometimes wrap lenses that aren't being used
> in Domke wraps.  I just don't understand paying so much for a fast lens
> with wonderful glass and then putting a filter in front of it.  Kind of
> like taking a shower with your raincoat on  ;-)
> Leica says you don't need filters for protection or UV - that's good enough
> for me.<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Tina,

I concur completely!  This nonsense of a UV filter for protection is an
over blown topic. I've only had one lens damaged in all my years
shooting and that was only because I was so stupid to work toooooooooooo
close to an arc welder!  When a spark of molten metal landed in the
middle of a 28mm lens and put a zit in the glass! Big deal, as it never
showed up in any of the shooting there after.

And as far as a filter protecting your lens? Just drop an 80-200 15 feet
to a marble floor with a filter on and see how much protection the
filter was!

At one time I believed this protection thing and like many others bought
a UV for my Noctilux just after I purchased it. Then it came to my
attention I was experiencing weird reflections in many of the available
darkness frames, only to discover it was the damn filter.  Took it off
and threw it away!

Never had a filter on since, let alone a lens shade after the little
pins holding the lens shade on came loose and fell out.  Nary a scratch
and that lens has been to hell and back.

As I usually suggest, save your filter money, buy film, take more
pictures and become a better photographer!
ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant