Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:29:19 +0100

(A lot of the previous messages has been snipped )

In addition to Mark's professional advice, this is what an amateur has to say:

I (you?) need a tripod that brings the camera up to eye level.  For me
(you) it is quite OK if this is done by raising the center post and having
a Leica ball on top of it,  which adds another couple of inches. OK, a bit
more unstable, but the trade-off is volume and weight saved.

If you are going to collaps and extend your tripod freqently, you will  not
like tripods where you fix the position of the leg by turning little rubber
or metal rings. Three legs times three sections makes twelve times twisting
to set up and pack the tripod. Which will make your hands sore in no time
at all.

I have a heavy, very stable tripod and a light weight one. Guess which gets
used the most? But the big heavy one is good for holding reflection
screens, and you need to be less careful about making sure the whole thing
does not tip over when you have your camera at eye level. Makes quite a
fall when it happens. My M landed in a well padded easy chair. No damage to
camera och chair.

Chris

>Dan Honemann wrote:
>>

>> In anticipation of my upcoming trip to Ottawa, I've decided to purchase a
>> Heliar and a tripod.  Any recommendations on which tripod/head combination
>> works best with an M?
>>

>I think when you see a Leica on a tripod you expect it to be a Gitzo but what
>the heck!
>
>Get a tripod which you don't have to raise the center post up to make the
>camera
>eye level.
 I've gone Gitzo but plenty of my pro
>photo friends have Bogans.