Subject: Re: [Leica] kyle's lost his @#$@#$! mind - week 35
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:17:36 -0700

Kyle,

One Monday morning long ago, our wonderfully human-but-greatly-insecure
supervisor, came to the weekly staff meeting wearing a paper bag over his
head.
To our horror he declared: "Until now this department has been led this
way".
It seems that over the weekend he had attended an EST seminar where - after
paying a goodly sum of money - he was told to relinquish his beliefs, to
undo what he had worked for, to negate what he thought he was worth, and
prostrate himself before his peers.
Your MEM class and your photo essay reminds me of that long ago incident.

I find this sort of  voierism sickening. If I happened upon an accident I
might document it to provide proof of the events. If I were confronted by an
individual bent on self destruction I would contact the appropriate
authorities to provide the help he/she needs, not glorify the behavior with
lending it notoriety.

As for the photographic merit, sorry, documentary photography it ain't. The
images are mere snapshots, posed and coached, showing a girl enjoying the
attention. I do not feel at all her internal torment. The lighting and
straight-forward printing do not hint to the somber plight of this woman.
the mood is one of  teasing curiosity rather than causing allarm.
In order to complete a project of this type one would have to live with the
person for months, record every move, mood, and consequence. Then extract a
dozen or so photos from the thousands for the final presentation.

I liked your previous photographic endevors. I found them interesting, if
amusingly so.
I have nothing against one taking a new direction is style or career,
however, if you feel that what " i've done has been meaningless. i felt like
throwing it all out", as you say, than I would keep looking - elsewhere.

Best wishes
Joe Codispoti