Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Bokeh vs. Nukeh, WYSIWYG
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:56:05 -0700

The purpose of stopping down while looking at a ground glass is solely to
assess and adjust the desired FOCUS and the desired DOF. Nothing more. The
fact that the screen goes dark is an obvious artifact of the process. Stop
down, less light coming through, more DOF, less Bokeh, etc. So it is indeed
WYSIWYG in the "intended respects."

If you, however, after adjusting your focus on the dark GG screen, use the
wrong shutter speed (too fast) for the film type being used, your final
film image and resultant print will indeed look like the dark GG.

As I said earlier, stopping down to check DOF so that Scheimpflug and
f/stop characteristics can be adjusted, is the staple method of the
professional photography trade.

With a little intelligence interjected, what you see on the GG is what you get.

Jim