Subject: Re: [Leica] OT, magazine quality
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:22:13 -0400

Sam wrote:
[ ... ]
Aperture, Lenswork, B&W, etc. - all excellent publications - deal primarily
with images. And I was only talking about quality issues - paper, printing,
general reproduction - not content.

	--> One magazine you are likely to be positively impressed with
	is SELECT, from Germany, sold C$20.00 in Quebec.

	Very large, about 15" high x 11" wide, rather good paper,
	excellent typography & layout, outstanding portfolio approach,
	informative advertising, the photographs used span all
	sorts of techniques and concepts, definitely eye-candy
	for a Leica person. Standard quadrichrome printing,
	not hexachrome. Consistently excellent from issue to issue.
	Collectible, by definition !

	SELECT photography is so good, it's frustrating.

	--> If you like National Geographic, you'll flip on GEO;
	perhaps available in English and other languages by now.
	Nonesuch photography, graphic arts and printing quality.

	--> One non-photo specific magazine that keeps
	impressing me with its consistently outstanding visual presentation,
	printing quality (colors to rave about ! ) and varied
	coverage is Spain's MUY INTERESSANTE,
	what LIFE could have become if it had kept pace.
	The paper could be thicker, but this magazine delivers !

	Andre Jean Quintal