Subject: [Leica] kyle's lost his @#$@#$! mind - week 35
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:57:05 -0400 (EDT)

so -- week 35 would be some pix from my project for mary ellen mark's
doccumentary photography master class that i've been in for the last two
weeks but they're still, um, well, i'm not sure i want to link them from
the pic a week site. there are all sorts of photo ethics issues that
you'll no doubt be bombarding me with over the next couple of days which
is why i'm sort of keeping it under my hat until i've figured them out --
but since you people don't live around here, you're practically anonymous
and i can share with you:

http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/goth/secret/

when i started working on this project and got really involved with it, i
quickly realized that everything else i've done has been meaningless. i
felt like throwing it all out and was actually really embarrassed by a lot
of it -- like i'd been wasting my time and film. (if you want to get that
sort of warm fuzzy about the crap you've been laborously shooting for the
last five years, i recommend her class -- it'll wake you up.) i saw that
nothing i'd done had real substance or depth or emotional content. my goth
photos -- & the whole idea of it, are entirely superficial -- basically
just low quality fashion photography (not that there's anything wrong with
fashion, i'd love to do fashion actually) but i was missing the point, or
at least missing the story. & i think that for the first time i'm really
on the way to being able to tell a story completely through images -- in
fact, i find that nothing that i could say about it would be of any worth.
this is only a few shots from the first day. more to follow when i figure
out what i'm doing.

for the record, mary ellen thought this project was a Bad Idea.

kyle damn-fool-with-a-leica cassidy

Replies: Reply from Austin Burbridge <Austin.Burbridge@Alumni.Brown.edu> (Re: [Leica] kyle's lost his @#$@#$! mind - week 35)
Reply from chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson) (Re: [Leica] kyle's lost his @#$@#$! mind - week 35)