Subject: Re: [Leica] New Leica Website
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:51:19 +0100

>>>The problem is not much useful information.
>>>
>>>steve

>> this is true of about 90% of all websites.
>>
>> what useful information do you feel is lacking?
>>
>> guy
>
>Considering the legend that Leica is and continues to be with many different
>models it might be useful for Leica to point those out. I do not know if you
>have ever gone to the cameraquest.com website, you should take a look, that
>is something Leica could do. There are other things like one of the biggest
>weaknesses of the M series is the rangefinder going out of whack, how about
>a page with good graphics on how to adjust it, I could go on. There are
>many, many camera websites (never by the manufacturers) that have much
>useful information. There is no reason for me to go to the Leica site.
>
>Steve
>Annapolis

steve,

i know s. gandy's cameraquest site, and other sites devoted to leica
cameras, current and historical. i visit them often, and have used them
when considering which ltm body/lenses to buy, what the users'/collectors'
opinions are on various leica equipment, what vintage equipment is easy to
come by, reliable, affordable, etc. i also consult the lug archives for
similar info, as well are for info regarding issues like rangefinder
alignment, jammed film transport, loading ltm cameras, etc.

personally, i don't feel it is the manufacturer's responsability to
document the whole history of their production (90% of which is no longer
available, except used, and is thus no longer profitable to them), offer
information on how to repair damaged cameras (which is tantamount to
encouraging their customers - who perhaps have little or no experience in
camera repair - to do so, something i am sure manufacturers do not want to
do), or give subjective assessments of the stuff they sell. there are
dozens of sites/books/magazines which deal with these things.

it seems to me that camera manufacturers' primary interest is selling what
they manufacture: new cameras, so it is no surprise to me that that's
primarily what i find on their sites. if i want or need other info, i visit
the other sites or pick up a book. i go to the leica site (or check out the
'leica program') to see what's actually currently available, to get specs
on that material, and just gerenally to keep up with whatever might be
there. if that's not useful or interesting to you, so be it; you still have
the other sites. but for the straight dope on the current stuff, the leica
site (and program) is there and - though not exhaustive - contains a wealth
of factual information.

guy