Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar Questions
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:07:54 -0700

> Hello All.  I have acouple of questions regarding the current Tri-Elmar.
First, I don't see it mentioned much on the list and would like to know your
opinions on it as a "travel lens", i.e., when traveling light along with a
21mm and a 90mm.

> Tom Cavallo

I have a 3E. My opinion on your suggested light weight traveling outfit is
that unless you shoot mostly in bright light you still need to add a fast
35mm or 50mm. The tiny pre-asph 35mm Summicron is ideal because of its small
size. The extra 2 stops are significant will enable you to capture early
morning and late evening shots not possible with the 3E.

I do not regard my 3E as a real general purpose lens because of its slow
speed. I regard it as my 'bright light lens'. A couple of days ago I spent
the day hiking in the mountains. For this the 3E was perfect. Most of my
photography is done at the 35mm focal length and to me 50mm is like a short
tele and usefull for pulling in distant peaks etc. Plus you have the 28mm as
a bonus. When the sun got low I performed my one lens change of the day and
mounted my 35mm Summicron. A 3E/Summicron combination is like having 3
lenses in 2 and also saves a lot of lens changes - a real benefit when
traveling.