Subject: Re: [Leica] M meter spot - and Minolta spot meter
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:07:08 +0100

>While like Ted I don't give a hoot about the reflectance of the white spot
>on the shutter curtain, I have to say that this big spot business is the
>best metering method I've used so far. When I started using the Ms I thought
>a smaller spot would be a far better deal, but in fact the ability to select
>a large enough area of a scene to get a range of light that more or less
>adds up to an average for the exposure you want to make means that it's very
>fast and easy to use. I shoot only slide and this meter has given me far
>more consistent exposures than any other I've used. It took a while for me
>to learn to trust it, but my incident meter hardly ever gets out of the bag
>now.
>This is one thing about the M cameras I wouldn't like to see changed. In
>fact the more I use them and in very difficult lighting conditions, the more
>I realise they're just right - for me!

With this I would agree 100%. I have a Minolta Spot Meter which has been/is
a great educational tool for learning the differences in light values, but
once that stage has been mastered, the M6 meter will handle almost
anything, with a little help like making sure there is not a very bright
spot in the area measured (but thats coverd in the manual). If really in
doubt, I will shoot a second frame. The first thing to go when I decide to
reduce the weight and size of the equipment I carry around will be the Spot
Meter. Oh, it's Friday today.  $ 200 without the battery cover, which I may
be able to get. Shipping extra.

- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or