Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar Questions
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:33:35 -0400

Tom Cavallo wrote:
[ snip ]
I can purchase a current new one
(Leica demo-1 year Leica-USA warranty)
at $1700, which seems like a good deal.

	--> Many other people still have a maximum aperture fixation
	and fail to realize that a smaller aperture makes life
	much easier for optical engineers when they try to meet or exceed
	a Leica level of optical excellence, as in the Tri-Elmar.

	Most photographers tend to use films with an ISO 100
	or higher rating. At f/4 and 1/60, for example,
	that leaves you a very wide latitude for natural light
	photography and many varied kinds of photo subjects,
	with much creative headroom to spare.

	I'd characterize the Tri-Elmar as a connoisseur's
	lens and seeing it endorsed as their basic lens by such
	photographer-technologs as Erwin Puts sure make me wish
	I had the wherewithal to indulge in such a luxury... now.

	Here, the Leica Tri-Elmar price, in Canadian pesos,
	is quite forbidding but at US$1700, with full Leica warranty,
	even if it has been in the hands of a few other admirers,
	it certainly is appealing and most likely will fulfill the
	Leica promise for decades to come.

	Further, you will discover that a smaller maximum aperture
	very often minimizes the need for a sunshade hood.

	Best regards,

	Andre Jean Quintal