Subject: [Leica] Re: white dot and metering
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:44:42 -0700 (PDT)

Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> wrote:

> Does your camera., M6 or whatever model, give you correct exposures?

Last time I checked, it doesn't.  It tells me what setting to dial in
if I want the object the meter is reading to be rendered as a mid
tone.  I found it quite helpful to look at the size of the dot on the
shutter and be able to then realize what the approximate meter
sensitivity is when I'm looking through the range finder.  I hadn't
even noticed that white dot when I first got my M6.  Until this
discussion came up previously, I was ignorant.

If I wanted an auto everything camera so that I didn't have to know
how to create an image, I wouldn't have bought a Leica.  I see nothing
wrong with trying to figure out how one's gear works.  The more
knowledge you have, the better equipped you'll be to make decisions.

C'mon, Ted.  You're a master at this.  By now, photography and Leicas
are second nature to you.  Why belittle somebody trying to learn?  I'd
rather Dan asked questions about how his Leica works than read
messages about how broken, used cameras aren't pristine like new
ones.  Or what lens is best at f5.6 with no more than a 4x enlargement.