Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica MP
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:12:32 -0600

The Leica MP ‹ or Leica M Press or Leica iMPressive :-) ‹ was produced from
1956 - 1957 with total production of about 450 cameras. Based on the M3DS
with no self-timer and a manual resetting film counter (that later appeared
on the M2). It came with the Leicavit MP winder, though I do not myself know
if every camera came with one or not. The M3 could not use the Leicavit MP
winder though the later M2 could. The Leicavit MP winder is what Tom A.
based his successful rapidwinder on.

http://www.rapidwinder.com

The cameras were largely bought and used by their intended market of
professionals so there are very few mint ones around. It used the M3 finder
(50,90 and 135) though some were converted to the M2 finder(35, 50 and 90)
by Leica at the owners request. It would be much cheaper, and more
functional, to purchase an M6 and a rapidwinder. This is a very cursory
overview and, if you are fascinated by that kind of Leica minutia, I would
recommend purchasing Jim Lagers excellent books and joining the LHSA.

John Collier