Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens test
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 23 Aug 2000 14:10:30 -0700

On Wed, 23 August 2000, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> ><Snip>
> > The flip side of all this is that past f/11 ALL lenses start to get real
> > cruddy. Now owning leica glass and shooting it at f/16 or f/22... THAT'S a
> > crime!
> > --
> > Johnny Deadman
> >
> > http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
>
> Gosh Johnny! I think if we are using quality glass than that glass should hold
> up stopped down!!
> I'm going out to reshoot something right now fully intending to shoot at f16 and
> f22 with my 2.8 F Rolleiflex. Part of the reason I'm reshooting it is I missed
> my foreground and or background focus in too many of the shots and it was
> needed. This Zeiss lens as well as the lenses on my Leicas I often got for the
> extreme DOF (depth of field) and stop all the way down.
> These shots blow up very large very well!
> Markwr
> F 22 and be there!

Mark,

The reason f/16 or f/22 with Leica glass produces less than optimum results is because of the combination of diffraction and the typical magnification of a 35mm negative to a print.  At smaller apertures, the light scattered as it passes the aperture blades becomes a greater portion of the overall exposure, producing stronger interference patterns around each point of light with smaller apertures.  Since 35mm negatives are enlarged more for an 8x10 (for eample) print that the same print size from a larger negative, the effect of the diffration patterns is also magnified more.

f/22 with your Rolleiflex isn't the problem f/22 would be with 35mm because in all probabilty you won't enlarge the negative as much as the 35mm negative would be enlarged.  Extrapolating to large format, f/64 for an 8x10 neg is no big deal.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.