Subject: RE: [Leica] Lens challenge
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:57:25 -0400

It's tough to compare those shots.  I wasn't trying to get a nice shot with
the park bench series.  I was more concerned with getting some
representative objects in the foreground and background, and have her in
the pic just to make it a little interesting.   And I didn't do a great job
of colour balance and contrast with the test shots (as I could tell when I
printed them on my 1270), I just wanted them to be as similar as possible
to each other.

This is an example of the dangers in comparing lenses this way.  I could
easily have used the 75 for the lens test, and I'm positive that the
results would have been roughly the same as the others, apart from obvious
magnification differences.

Folks, don't take these tests too seriously!   I never said or tried to
prove that Leica lenses were crap, or that some other lenses blew them
away.  My point is and always has been that differences between lenses from
different companies show up in the decimal places.  Maybe some people like
lens A better than lens B and vice versa (no relation to my A and B
shots!).   The point is, So What?   You know something?  Most people who
view photographs (I don't mean photo editors or photographers) don't give a
hoot about sharpness or bokeh.  A model was by my place last week, picking
out some portraits for me to print out for her on my Epson 1270.  She
wanted a tight crop from a full length shot, and I warned her that I could
digitally crop the negative only so far before the  quality would suffer
too much.  She told me to go ahead and print it.  So I made her some 8x10s
of several poses.   To me they looked grainy as hell, but she loved them!
She then asked me to make one on my 13" x 19: paper.  So I told her, "we
were lucky with the 8x10s, but for sure the larger print will look
terrible!".  She insisted.  So I reprinted one on the larger paper, almost
filling the page (I resampled the image to keep the printing dpi over 200).
 Again, up close the grain was very apparent, but she was thrilled with it!

There's a lesson in there somewhere...

Dan C.