Subject: Re: [Leica] Ralph Gibson again
From: Mikiro <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:32:32 +0200

on 23/8/00 10:49 AM, Guy Bennett at guybnt@idt.net wrote:

>>> In the last issue of Camera Arts I just read in the bathroom it's got a big
>>> thing on Ralph Gibson who we intermittently discuss.
>>
>> BTW, my wife tells me that she can make a decent photobook as good as
>> Gibson's out of my "failure" pics.  Should I feel happy or unhappy?
>>
>> MIKIRO
>

> mikiro,
>
> if your wife ever does put that book together, i'd love to see it. and
> should it ever be published, i'll buy a copy and keep it on my shelf with
> other masterpieces created by various people's two-year-old sisters who:
>
> - paint like picasso
> - play saxophone like albert ayler
> - write like james joyce
> - etc.
>
> guy

Guy-
I would be very flattered if you should do so.  Unfortunately, I myself seem
to have too spoiled eyes for photography to have a chance to enjoy such an
honour. ;-)

Frankly speaking, however,  I am hard pressed to "appreciate" some of
Gibson's shots which, to my mediocre eyes, appear products of inadvertent
release of the shutter.  Or, he was just in a mood of feeling and hearing
the travel of that cloth shutter membrane of his M6 at those
restrospectively decisive moments...

I am a great fan of Gibosn and really enjoy what he writes as well as what
he shoots.

Cheers,

MIKIRO
http://arbos.silva.net