Subject: RE: [Leica] white dot and metering
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:33:01 -0700

The spot itself doesn't have to be 18% grey.  It would only need to be that
value if it were to serve as a reference point for a variety of meters all
calibrated to that standard.  As it provides the reflected light for just
one meter, it makes sense for the spot to be white, as that reflects the
most light for the meter's cell to use - especially in low light.

Essentially, the spot can be any reflectivity at all, because the whole
thing (spot+meter cell)is a closed system.  In that case the system as a
whole can be calibrated.  It's only in open systems that you need the
individual parts to be calibrated.  This is essentially what you're doing
when you carry a grey card.  All handheld meters "expect" to see 18%,
electrically speaking, but the M6 meter is designed to "expect" to see the
white spot.  "White spot + adjusted meter cell output" gives the 18% grey
reference.

You could use a white card with a hand-held meter and get accurate results,
as long as you adjusted the meter to compensate for the non-standard
reflectivity of the card.  This would turn the setup into a closed system,
however - you couldn't introduce a standard, unmodified meter into the setup
(i.e. use it with the with the white card) and get the same results.

As to why 18%?  Not a freakin' clue.

Paul

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] white dot and metering)