Subject: RE: [Leica] Lens challenge
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 07:45:09 -0700

This is really wild!  I opened four browsers to full screen, and brought up
one image in each of them.  This makes it easy to flip back and forth
between them - kind of like a blink comparator in astronomy.

The first thing I noticed was what appears to be a massive difference in
depth of field.  Compare the detail in the hedge and the mullions in the
front window of the house, in images C and D.  It looks like they were taken
a stop and a half apart!  Part of this is that the point of focus is further
back in C, but still I wouldn't have expected this kind of difference.

A shows a lot of ni-sen bokeh - doughnut highlights in the trees behind her.
To me this is the hallmark of Nikkors, so I'd be willing to say A was the
Nikkor.  B feels like a Leica lens to me - it could be either of them.  On C
and D I have no opinion.

But, as others have noted, the test really needs one or more tripods and
enlarged image sections.

Paul