Subject: [Leica] Leica coating references in lens brochures
From: "Duane Birkey" <dbirkey@uio.telconet.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:32:35 -0500

I don't have a broad sampling of brochures..... but neither the 24mm ASPH
nor the 35mm Summilux ASPH brochures mention any type of coating period.
Nothing I have specifically states what type of coating any of lenses have.

The only reference in the latest M brochure 910716 is:

"Procedures that can be extremely complex are used to grind, polish, center
and coat individual lens elements"

So Leica clearly does not make a big deal about multicoating like many of
the Japanese manufacturers...

But the older M-6 910613 brochure mentions:  "Special Leica multiple coating
guarentees exceptional freedom from flare, while ultraviolet light is
screened to such an extent that UVa filters only serve to protect the front
lens element".

Which brings us back to an interesting question...... Does Leica now suggest
that we should use UVa filters to protect our lenses???

(Under fire, mayday mayday head for cover........  Duane)