Subject: [Leica] RE: Personal photographers
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 10:39:51 -0400

Two things come to mind to me. One of the main jobs of a cabinet
secretary, VP or President is to inspire the troops (government
employees). This means meeting people and rewarding what we as taxpayers
hope is excellence. Grip and grin work for any photographer is boring,
but not for the grippee who wants a professional keepsake of their big
moment. People work for this sort of recognition, and I think providing
it more than justifies having one or two always-available GS-12
photographers.

On the documentation side we should also remember that part of the
reason for having in-house government photographers is the need for
extensive security clearances. You aren't going to let some AP
photographer sit in on a national security meeting in the White House
Situation Room or wander in and out of the Oval Office unescorted, but
White House photographers can and do. This is why we have those amazing
pictures of Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis, or the ones of
Carter during the hostage crisis, just to take two memorable examples.

In any case, I think its very strange for photographers to complain when
other photographers are being valued as professionals enough to earn a
salary. It sure beats using the 18 year old intern with a digital point
and shoot - which is what much of the corporate world seems to think is
good enough instead of hiring a Leica-using freelancer like me!

Simon Stevens