Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica 24mm, 75mm
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 10:26:07 +0800

Dear Matt,
I have the 24 which I prefer over the 21 or the 28 - just depends,I think,
how you "see" wide. About the 90 APO, I just got mine (thank you Joseph)
and have shot only a couple of rolls of film - mostly close ups of faces -
the APO focusses down to 1 meter yielding a 220mm X 330mm frame which a
face fills nicely. The quality of reproduction is, as you might expect,
simply wonderful. I can handle the depth of field wide open, focussing on
the nearest eye - but when I have borrowed and used a 75 Summilux, I found
that I did not have the focussing accuracy to deal with such a shallow
depth of field. Now I know that the differences in DOF between the 90 at
F2.0 and 75 at F1.4 are negligible but I "feel" more confident with the
APO. Perhaps another reason is that I have used a 90 Summicron for many
years and am more used to it. The 75 close focusses to 0.75 meters with a
frame of 192mm X 288mm so if you want to get closer then the 75 may be the
lens for you. For myself, I am happy with my decision to go for the 90 APO
which is also lighter than the 75 by 60 grams.
Cheers,
Howard.