Subject: [Leica] Re: which M6TTL to choose?
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:29:36 -0700 (PDT)

Gregoire Vandenschrick <vandenschrick@geog.ucl.ac.be> wrote:

> I tried the 0.72x, and had difficulties to see all the 35 frame, and
> never saw the 28 one. I understand that with my choice of optic, the
> 0.85x would be the best choice, but what if I don't see the all
finder
> (I wear glasses)?

I have the 0.85x one.  My wife wears glasses, but doesn't shoot.  When
I was buying it, though, she looked through both the .72 nonTTL and
.85 TTL versions, and could see the 35mm framelines about equally well
in both.  (They had a nonTTL model for demo, and opened up the .85
version that I was pretty sure I wanted so I could see the
difference.)  I just looked through mine, and held my eye back a
little bit to simulate glasses.  I had to hunt around, but the edges
of what I could see also corresponded fairly well to where the
framelines are.  The salesman had glasses, and he said he could see
the 35mm framelines equally well in the .72 and .85 models.

> I read also that the 0.85 was less prone to flare in bad light
> conditions, what about this point also.

I don't know about that.  I've learned to shield the windows with
fingers when I get flare, and that'll cut down on it.

You might want to hold off for Photokina, and see what Leica
releases.  You may be able to see more framelines in their lower mag
unit, if they do come out with it.

> So I think of a tiny thing, with just a 35 asph, and maybe a 90
> asph.

I have the 35/2 ASPH and absolutely love it.  My next lens will
probably not be 'til February.  At first, I was thinking I wanted the
75/1.4 for my next lens.  I think I'll go wider, first.  75 and over
seem to be better saved for SLRs.  If I were buying all over, I'd go
with the same combo:  0.85x body and 35/2 ASPH.