Subject: RE: [Leica] Question: wich M6TTL to choose?
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:38:40 -0400

I wrestled with the same choice, and finally decided on the .72x finder (and
I'm happy I did).

Here are my thoughts:
> I tried the 0.72x, and had difficulties to see all the 35 frame,
> and never saw the 28 one.

Bingo.  I'm an eyeglass wearer as well, and I find that even with the .72x,
the 50 framelines and higher are the only ones I can see without hunting
around.  The 35 are visible with some real hunting, and the 28--forget it.

At the time, I was thinking I'd want a 35 lens to go with my 50, and that
the .72x was the best choice for both.  Having shot the M with the 50 for a
few months now, I find myself wanting to go wider still, and figure the 28
will be my next lens.  That being the case, I'll probably buy either the new
Leica M6 wideangle (.58x) that will be announced at Photokina, or else the
Hexar RF, and use _that_ for the 28, dedicating the .72x M6 to the 50.

Since it will be a one lens body, I might have been better off getting the
.85x since with that model the 50 frames basically filled the finder (again,
from the eyepoint of a glasses wearer).

> I read also that the 0.85 was
> less prone to flare in bad light conditions, what about this point also.

I read just the opposite.  Paul Cherfuka of this list can comment: he traded
his .72x for a .85x and felt (without admittedly testing thoroughly) that
the higher mag. finder flared more often.

I think it may just be a wash here: my .72 M6 certainly flares often enough
that it's a hassle.  The solution?  Black tape the framelines window.  If
not seeing the framelines is a concern, arrange the tape so that it hangs
over the framelines window at an angle like a shade or awning.  Flare gone,
framelines remain.  Looks silly (sorry, B.D.), but it does work.

> At least, is there a lot of technical and reliability between the TTL and
> the standart M6 version?

Can't comment on this.

I did spend quite a bit of time looking through both finders at the store
and decided that there was little real difference between them and that I
prefered the slightly wider view of the .72 for the sake of my limited eye
relief.

And if I had it to do over again?  Knowing what I didn't know then: that
there would be an amazingly beautiful LHSA black paint M6 offering, and that
Leica would offer a .58x finder M6 at Photokina, I would be inclined to get
the LHSA .85x M6 for my 50 summi, and a .58x M6 for the 28 elmarit.

Dan

Replies: Reply from "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@jcberger.com> ([Leica] Glasses and viewfinder (was: Question: wich M6TTL to choose?))