Subject: Re: [Leica] re: why m is so popular?
From: telyt560@cswebmail.com
Date: 17 Aug 2000 10:59:12 -0700

On Thu, 17 August 2000, Kyle Cassidy wrote:

> >Many people are using M. Many people want to buy M. Many books and
> >magazines talk about M. Unfortunately, I want to buy a R. Why M is more
> >pupular than R? Am I right to buy a R?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Terry Sham
>
> because while leica arguably makes a top of the line rangefinder, their
> flagship R model has basically the same features as a nikon f3. relegating
> it to the necks of doctors, and lawyers (and of course sal, who will now
> flame me good :-)
<SNIP>

I'm constantly baffled as to why the minimalist M is thought to have all the features a camera ought to have  while SLR cameras ought to be an excersize in overkill.

> if you're buying it because the lenses are so
> much sharper than Nikons or Canons, you're wasting your money, go buy a
> mamyia 645 and start kicking some sharpness butt.

Yes kyle I'd love to have the bigger chromes of the Mamiya 645 but a lens for the 645 format equivalent to a 400 or 560 for 35mm isn't something I relish hauling up mountains and besides there ain't no 120 Kodachrome.

To maximize image quality (and it's not just "sharpness") in a camera I'm willing to carry I'll use Leica R.  It's not a waste of money for me.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
Visit the Northwestern Alumni Association portal
page at http://www.nualumni.com  to get free
web-based e-mail and many other exciting features.